Will a single drv8825 stepper driver be able to run 3 nema 17 steppers in series

Title says it all. I have 2 nema 17 steppers running on a single drv8825 driver in series already, but I don’t know if it can handle a 3rd. The 3 motors will be driving 3 lead screws for the z-axis of a 3d printer.

Hello.

That depends entirely on the specifications for the motor and the power supply you are using. If you post a datasheet with the coil voltage and current for your motors and your power supply voltage, I can let you know if it seems reasonable to run them like that.

-Nathan

KL17H248-15-4A.pdf (72.9 KB)
I attached the documentation I could find for my steppers. The power supply is 24 volts and rated for a maximum current draw of 15 amps. Thanks for the help!

Hello.

Thanks for the datasheet. The coil voltage is 4.2V (at their rated 1.5A current limit) so 3 of them in series need a supply with a minimum voltage of 12.6V to push 1.5A through them. In practice, it’s generally good to add couple of volts to a minimum like that to account for variances in the motors, losses, and other overhead. Your 24V power supply seems reasonable.

-Nathan