Which motor driver to choose?

I’m planning to use the “10:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor HP 6V with Extended Motor Shaft” -
https://www.pololu.com/product/2211 with one of the weak arduino controllers: Arduino PICO or MINI or the Arduino A-Star 32U4 Micro

If I want to push the motor to it’s limit- what is the max voltage that I can supply to the motor? what are the best motor drivers to use for this case?

In the motor specs the “Stall Current” is 1.6A , what does it mean? How can I use this spec to choose the correct motor driver?

Thanks!

Hello.

For our 6V micro metal gearmotors, we usually recommend operating them from 3V to 9V, but you could try to use them at higher voltages at your own risk. In general, most brushed DC motors can be run at higher voltages to increase their speed and torque, however operating the motor outside of its rated voltage will decrease its life span.

The stall current rating is the maximum current drawn by a motor when its applying its maximum torque such as when the motor is being prevented from rotating. We generally recommend choosing a motor driver that has a continuous current rating greater than or equal to the stall current of the motor. The current draw of a DC motor is proportional to the operating voltage, so if you increase the operating voltage from 6V to 9V, for example, the motor’s stall current would be around 2.4A.

We have many motor drivers (and controllers) that can drive that motor. You can see some of the drivers (and controllers) that would work with that motor in the “Related Products” list on the right-hand side of its product page.

- Amanda