Which motor controller should I choose?

I have two electric motors rated at 27.5A and powered by 36V. The motors are controlled by two pwm-signals, one to each motor. My problem is that I can’t find any appropriate motor control. Is there anyone here who has a good tip?

Hi.

Do you know what the 27.5A current rating of the motors means? Is it the stall current?

- Zeeshan

What I know about the motor is what is says on this page: http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/electric-motor-750-watt-36-volt-11-tooth-6mm.html.

Unfortunately, we do not carry any motor controllers suitable for a motor that powerful. You might try checking out Kelly Controls to see if they have any motor controllers that can work with your motor.

- Zeeshan

Ok, so the 36v20 CS with an additional heatsink will not be enough?

That would not be enough. Your motor will have a stall current on the order of 100A.

- Zeeshan

Hmm… Ok… But, the battery I’ve planned to use has the specifikation of 30A constant discharging current and 50A peak discharge rating, aliexpress.com/item/36V-15Ah … 96637.html . The current will still be to high? The Kelly controller is physically to big to suit my construction =/

//Pär

As I said before, we do not have anything appropriate for a motor that powerful. In general, a suitable controller is probably going to be much bigger and more expensive than what we carry.

- Zeeshan

I have a similar question.

I am using the following motor, http://www.bisongear.com/specs.asp_Q_catID_E_3_A_subCatID_E_18_A_prodID_E_57_A_skuID_E_561

When running this motor, I am using 3.8amps continously, at startup it spikes to 33amps for a 1/4 second or so. I am trying to add in a controller that will allow a soft start, and directional control.

Which controller would you recommend ?.

Hi.

It is hard to be sure what controller would work without knowing the stall current of your motor. However, you might consider our 18v25 Simple High-Power Motor Controller or 18v25 high-power motor driver.

- Zeeshan

Thank you for your response,
What is the main difference between the item recommended or this one pololu.com/catalog/product/1451

Besides offering additional features (e.g. USB interface on the Simple Motor Controller), the motor drivers I recommended can handle more current (both in terms of continuous current and transient current spikes).

- Zeeshan