Weird Tic Windows Configuration Utility behavior

I just purchased a Tic T249 motor controller. It’s great and I’ve tested a couple different stepper motors with it, a NEMA 17 Vexta PK244-01AA (1.2a) and a NEMA 8 8HS15-0604S (0.6a). For power I used a 15V 4a supply.

When using either stepper motor through the Windows Tic utility application on Windows 10, I first set parameters to match the motor. I’d try the position slider setting and it would work fine. I’d then switch to speed slider mode and that would work fine. Switching back to position slider does weird things. The min/pos/max boxes show what’s expected; -200 / 0 / 200, but the slider still acts as a speed control.

Exiting the utility and re-running doesn’t fix it. I haven’t verified, but I think rebooting fixes the issue. I reloaded the Tic firmware to the most recent 1.06 I found and it didn’t change the behavior. Restoring default settings to the Tic doesn’t fix it.

I have not heard of that issue before. Could you post a video showing the problem (in particular what is happening in the Tic Configuration Utility)? Also, could you post your Tic settings file? You can save your settings file from the “File” drop-down menu of the Tic Configuration Utility while the controller is connected.

Brandon

Playing around with the utility a bit more I realized what was going on. By switching to “set velocity” I was getting the position into very high numbers. My little NEMA 8 motor can easily get to 32000 pps in half stepping mode.

Switching back to position mode and selecting position 0, it accelerates quickly in reverse to get back to position 0. It’s doing exactly what it should, just not what I expected. I expected switching modes to clear the position value. Now that I know what it’s doing I’m glad it doesn’t.

I added the settings file just in case.
tic_settings.txt (1.3 KB)

Thanks for the help.

1 Like