VNH5019 Motor Driver wroks fine with 31,3 kHz on Arduino : but why and how long?

hi erveryone,

i mostly work with mechanics, and i am bad or very slow with programming and electronics. I am currently working on a project, using a wiper motor with a VNH5019 Motor Driver Carrier and an Arduino uno. So:

My Problem was, that the Motor was way to noisy (Sound not electrical Noise) with the default 980Hz or 490Hz, when i used PWM to control it. I changed Timer1 for Pin 9 and 10 on the Arduino to 31300Hz and all the Noise was gone. Everything is fine. But…And here my Question:

The VNH5019 Motor Driver Carrier supports up to 20 kHz (20000Hz) so it shouldnt be able to work with 31,3kHz. The question overwhelms my knowledge about PWM Frequenzies. Will the driver just work fine, working on 20kHz while getting a higher PWM Frequenz as Input, or should I expect future problems for example in Communication between Driver an Arduino.

If my Question is stupid, pls let me know :wink: thx

Hello.

We moved your thread to the “Motor controller/drivers and motors” category of our forum since it seemed more appropriate.

I would not expect using a higher frequency to cause any damage, but it might not be reliable (although it might work or appear to work). I expect using 20KHz to reduce the noise when compared to 480Hz or 490Hz as well, since it is still above the audible range. If you haven’t tried it yet, you might consider configuring Timer1 for 20KHz. You can use the initialization function in the DualVNH5019MotorShield.cpp file for our Dual VNH5019 Motor Shield Arduino library as a reference for doing this.

Brandon