Vnh5019 cooling question

Dear support from Pololu,

Good evening,
As I have read the vnh5019 driver. Till what current can you use this board? I would like to know if I can use it till 16.7A at 24V to cooldown a few peltiers in total of three. Each has a vnh5019 and I would like to design a fitting heatsink. Whereby the last driver is used to draw max 10A at 24V

Also if this is possible can I mount on top of the package a big custom made heatsink?

Is there another away to get more heat out of the chip vnh5019?

Whic of the figures from the dataset vng5019 figure 16 does apply to the made vnh5019 driver board?

What is HSD and LSD mean ? Where are they located in the chip? When do they apply?

For calculations and designing a heatsink which of the values shall I use? HSD LSD?

I tried the twister simulation tool from ST, but the the vbh5019 in this software, is based on its pcb layout on apredefined JEDEC 4cm2 8c2 copper area.

Best regards, stay healthy.

Bastiasn

Hello, Bastiaan.

It is not clear to me if you are asking about our single or dual VNH5019 board, but as stated on their product pages, both boards can deliver 12 A continuously per driver. Adding a heatsink should allow you to get more current from them before they overheat, but we do not have any board-specific resources to help you design a heatsink computationally, so you might have to take more of a trial-and-error approach.

The layouts of our boards do not correspond closely to any of the layouts shown in figure 16 of the datasheet, but they are designed to make use of as much of the board area as possible, so they are probably most similar to the two layouts on the right. The abbreviations HSD and LSD probably refer to high-side driver and low-side driver.

By the way, if you are not committed to the VNH5019, you might alternatively consider using some of our G2 High-Power Motor Drivers, some of which should be able to handle your current requirement without a heatsink.

Kevin

So technically speaking I can have one driver vnh5019 that is, run 16.7A with a big enough heatsink? If I use heatpipes will that work even better?

Best regards

Bastiaan.

Outlook voor iOS downloaden

We have not tested a specific scenario like that, but we expect it to be reasonable to supply that much current with a VNH5019 with sufficient cooling. In general, the more effectively you can draw heat out of the driver, the more likely it is to work. (For example, a fan actively blowing on the heatsink should work better than just a passively cooled heatsink, and incorporating heat pipes like you mentioned might allow for more effective heat transfer, though it would depend on the particular setup.)

By the way, it is possible to combine the two motor channels in parallel on our dual VNH5019 board to get a single-channel driver that can handle 24 A continuously without a heat sink. For more information, see the “Using the Driver in Single-Channel Mode” section of its user’s guide.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin for your extensive answer.

I’ll try to build a heatsink that can handle these temperatures. I currently posses from old pc 2 large heatsinks with heatpipes.

I’ll just have to construct a nice bottom plate:)

Best regards

Bastiaan

Outlook voor iOS downloaden