VNH5019 braking

Good day,
does the vnh5019 support shortening the outA und outB to increase the stall torque of the motor?

Thanks

Hi.

The VNH5019 driver can configure its outputs to brake high (both outputs connected to VIN) or brake low (both outputs connected to ground) by bringing INA and INB both high or low respectively. Braking like this should slow the motor down more quickly, but it has nothing to do with the stall torque of the motor.

If you post more about what you are trying to do, I might be able to offer some suggestions.

-Claire

Thanks for the reply.
if you short curcuit both motor leads, the self magnetic induction leads to a higher stall torque.
What does the vnh5019 exactly do in the braking mode?

thanks

I mentioned in my previous post what the VNH5019 does with the motor outputs while braking, but you can see more about it in the datasheet for the VNH5019.

If you short the two leads of a brushed DC motor together it will resist rotating. If the motor is already spinning when the leads are shorted, the motor will slow down more quickly (or exert more torque toward slowing down). That is separate from the stall torque of a motor which is a property of the motor.

-Claire

Thanks.

I am still having a question on that topic.
You mentioned that bringing INA and INB low will result in both outputs connected to ground. But the datasheet says, that if the pwm is 0, LSa and LSb are both disabled. Are both compatible?
I tried putting INA and INB low but I it is not showing ground on outa and outb.

Am I missing something?

When the PWM pin is low the driver outputs are disabled. To brake PWM must be high.

-Claire

Thanks for the fast reply.
So if I connect INA and INB to GND and PWM pin to VDD, the output pins should be shortened to ground, right?

That is correct.

-Claire