Using Rocker Switch to control Motor

Hi all,

I’m trying to set up a simple control - if I flip a rocker switch on, it will turn a motor an exact number of rotations and keep it there as long as the switch is in the ON position. If I flip the switch off, it will turn the motor back to the original position and stay there. How could I do this, and what parts would I need for this? I’m completely new to motor control, so I’m not sure how to go about this.

Thanks!

Hello.

We do not have anything that could be set up to work like that without doing some programing, and how best to go about it will depend on the needs of your application. You should probably start by looking into different motor types to see what would be best for your needs. If you only need a few turns, you might consider something like multi-turn servos.

Your question is very broad, so it is hard to offer more specific advice. If you do some research and have more specific questions about parts for your project it would make it easier for people to offer additional advice.

-Derrill

Hi Derrill,

Thanks for the answer!
I’m trying to create an enclosed setup where a motor (or servo) will rotate a block that turns on machined threads. That motion of the threaded block will cause another adjacent block to move linearly, and that linear block needs to push on a target area with a force of ~100 kg. The enclosure will be fastened to allow force application.

Ideally, I’d like to have the motor or servo make only one or two complete rotations before reaching the target force. This could either be done by programming, or through some other means of controlling rotation.

Thanks!

I do not have any specific suggestions for a multi-turn servo that can handle loads that large. It sounds like you need linear motion; have you considered using a linear actuator?

-Derrill