Using A4983 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier with Voltage Regula

hi there,
my stteper motor will draw 2.5A
i will use the A4983 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier with Voltage Regulation for it, on full step mode.
do i need any heat sink for the driver?
if i do, can you explain how to wire it to the driver?
thanks!

Hello.

The stepper motor driver chip cannot deliver more than 1 A continuously without a heat sink. You will need to use the built-in current limiting circuit to limit the output current to something less than 1 A or use a heat sink. Directions for setting adjusting the current limiting are on the product page.

The wiring diagram on the stepper motor driver without regulator’s product page is a good place to start. There are only two differences when wiring the 1202s: VDD should be connected to one of the 1202’s regulated outputs (either 3V3 or 5V) instead of to the microcontroller’s power supply, and you do not need to jumper MS1 to MS2 because the board includes the pull-down resistor for MS1.

- Ryan

Hello.

For more information about using the A4983 stepper motor driver carrier with a heat sink, please see this thread:

- Ben

hi guys,
thanks for the info and the fast reply!
i read the product page etc.
if i understand it all, the current limiting is useful for motors current draw of up to 1A.
my motor specifications are: rated voltage: V3.1, rated current of 2.5A and phase resistence of 1.25Ω.

correct me if i missed something - with these specifications i shouldnt limit the current but take care of heat sinking?
thanks,
A

Hello.

I think you are confusing an example about current limiting with some limitation of the system. The current limiting circuit does not care what kind of stepper motor connected, and it actually more useful for motors that draw more than 1A. You will be able to limit the current of your motor. What you want to do is run your stepper motor at a higher voltage, but limit the current using the current limiting circuit so that it stays below 2A, if you heat sink the driver, or well below 1A, if you do not heat sink it.

- Ryan

so generally i should try to suplly the VMOT with high voltage?
could you help with giving advice about the parameters for battery selection in this case?
since sttepers and their drivers have their own philosophy im sure that many other pepole could use this advice…
thanks!