Unable to Connect to 3Pi troubles

Hi All
Just received my 3pi bot and loaded up the AVRstudio, WinAVR and installed the 3 drivers for the USB AVRISP programmer I have. (pgm03a_Windows )
When I try to connect to the 3pi under AVRStudio it always says connection failed, whether using the correct COM port number or Auto detect.

I’m guessing I’m missing a simple step here some where but tried everything I can think off.

Info known to help :-
Programmer :- USP AVR Programmer - with drivers sitting at COM 4 and Com 5 for the TTL Driver.
Programmer :- Green LED constantly on
Programmer :- Orange LED flashing twice per second when the 3pi is turn on. ( red flashing when 3pi is Off )
3Pi :- New and never been connected as yet
3Pi :- Connected with 6inch ribbon cable from 3pi to Programmer. Pin 1 to 1 at both ends.
3Pi :- Turned on with Demo program running. ( Do I need cancel the Demo program in order to connect to the programmer ?) ( If so how )
System :- Win 7, with no trouble installing drivers
System :- Drivers - AVR USB Programmer Programming is on COM 3
System :- Drivers - AVR USB Programmer TTL Serial port in on Com 4

If theres a bit more info I can add just yell,
Any help much appreciated
Regards
Dave’O

First, let us distinguish between connecting to the USB AVR Programmer, and connecting to the 3pi. When you click the “Connect” button in the “Select AVR Programmer” window in AVR Studio, you are connecting to the programmer. If you successfully connected to the programmer, then you will see an STK5000 dialog box with many tabs. There are many buttons in those tabs (such as the program flash button) that will make AVR Studio try to connect to the 3pi via the programmer.

Because you mentioned COM ports, it sounds like you are failing to connect to the programmer. Is that true?

–David

Also, is your Programming port on COM 3 or COM 4? Your post is inconsistent regarding that. --David

Hi All my name is Ray and just like the person who posted this same post, I am having the same problems. I’ll use his specs to give you a better understanding.

Just received my 3pi bot and loaded up the AVRstudio, WinAVR and installed the 3 drivers for the USB AVRISP programmer I have. (pgm03a_Windows )
When I try to connect to the 3pi under AVRStudio it always says connection failed, whether using the correct COM port number or Auto detect.

I’m guessing I’m missing a simple step here some where but tried everything I can think off.

Info known to help :-
Programmer :- USP AVR Programmer - with drivers sitting at COM 4 for the TTL Driver.
Programmer :- Green LED constantly on
Programmer :- Orange LED flashing twice per second when the 3pi is turn on. ( red flashing when 3pi is Off )
3Pi :- New and never been connected as yet
3Pi :- Connected with 6inch ribbon cable from 3pi to Programmer. Pin 1 to 1 at both ends.
3Pi :- Turned on with Demo program running. ( Do I need cancel the Demo program in order to connect to the programmer ?) ( If so how )
System :- Win XP, with no trouble installing drivers
System :- Drivers - AVR USB Programmer Programming is on COM 3
System :- Drivers - AVR USB Programmer TTL Serial port in on Com 4

If theres a bit more info I can add just yell,
Any help much appreciated, I would love if I can get a reply with in a day or two, because this is for my School project and need to have it completed ASAP. Moreso with in the next week. Thanks
Regards
Dave’Oscreen shot.docx (278 KB)

Hello.

How does copying someone else’s post (including his signature) help us get a better understanding of your problem? Please do not do this. Also, why would you change your COM ports to match those of someone whose programmer isn’t working?

You say you had no trouble installing the drivers (or did you just incorrectly copy that from the other post?) yet your screenshot shows that there are problems. If you are using XP SP2, you need to upgrade to SP3 or use the hotfix as described in the user’s guide.

- Ben

The reason why I used his same post, because whats described in his post is the same that is happening for me. Looking throughout the specs, it wasn’t presented to me that I had to use the SP3 or Hotfix.

If you are running Windows XP without SP3 or the hotfix and the person who started this thread is using Windows 7, what is happening to him is not what is happening to you. The only commonality is that you both are having trouble getting it to work. By copying the portion of his post that said you had no trouble installing the drivers, you are making assumptions about your problem that make it more difficult for us to identify what is really wrong. It is much more helpful (and easier to believe) if you take the time to put your problem into your own words. At the most, if you absolutely have to, copy the more objective “info known to help” section, but don’t copy someone’s introductory paragraph and subjective comments!

At any rate, does your most recent response mean you don’t have SP3 installed? This is mentioned at the top of section 3.a in the programmer’s user’s guide: Installing Windows Drivers and the Configuration Utility.

Please let me know if this doesn’t solve your problem.

- Ben

I’ve copied the code from “7.b A Simple Line Following Algorithm for 3pi”, I’ve press F7 to Build and this is the error messages I get along with warnings. I’ve done this to numerous example programs and still get errors, can you tell me what I’m doing wrong please? I’ve attached a screen shot along with the code from “7.b A simple Line following Algorithm for 3pi.”, I couldn’t get a good screen shot, so can you please tell me what I’m doing wrong please. Thank you.
compiler problem.docx (146 KB)

It sounds like you don’t actually have the Pololu AVR Library installed. Did you download the library and follow the installation instructions? Once the library is installed, I strongly recommend you try to build our example programs as they are before you try to make a new AVR Studio project.

- Ben