Trouble Uploading to Baby Orangutan from the Arduino Environment

Hello,

I am trying to program Baby Orangutan B-328 from the Arduino Environment. I have been following the steps introduced in: https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J17. I have successfully completed step 3 and have installed Pololu USB AVR Programmer driver. Even though the sample LED Blinking code compiles properly, I couldn’t upload that code to the board. Below is the error message I got:

Sketch uses 896 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,768 bytes.
Global variables use 10 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,038 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

I have tried on both Windows 10 and Mac OS X. Same error message occurs in both OS.

Can someone tell me what I may did wrong? Thanks a lot!

Best,
Eric

Hello, Eric.

Is the Baby Orangutan powered when you try to program it? Please note that the AVR programmer does not power the target device, so you will need to supply power directly to the Baby Orangutan when programming it through the ISP header.

If Baby Orangutan is powered and you are still having issues, can you run the AVR programmer’s configuration utility (after receiving an error from your Arduino IDE) and post a screenshot of the error message that you get here?

It is easier for us to troubleshoot in Windows, so let’s focus on that for now. Can you post a screenshot of your Device Manager with the “Ports (COM & LPT)” and “Pololu USB Devices” entries expanded and screenshots showing the lists of “Board” entries and “Programmer” entries under the “Tools” menu in your Arduino IDE?

- Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Thanks a lot for your response. Yeah, I didn’t know the baby orangutan needs to be powered externally. It is working properly now.

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Eric