Tic T500 + #2267 = "slow" speeds only (2700rpm)

Hi,
I have been following your guide Getting Started with the Tic Stepper Motor Controller from Pololu - YouTube with a very similar setup (besides having T500 instead of T825). 12v, 1500mA current limit.
In the guide you can go to max of 16000p/s2 (with max speed 50k, acceleration at 40k, full step mode), I can go to only half of that approx 9000p/s2 (going with the same speed increments 1k, 5k, 8k) before the shaft stops and only noise comes out (decreasing acceleration not changing much).
I know you mention that the limits may differ between the motors, but is this within the normal range (-50%)? Could there be some other explanation?
Thx,
S.

Hello.

Your motor will almost certainly be the limiting factor, and stepper motors are made in all sorts of different configurations, so it is nearly impossible to say what is reasonable without specific information about yours. Some steppers might only be able to achieve a couple hundred RPM and some might be good for several thousand.

Additionally, there are a variety of other factors that can affect the motor’s maximum speed, such as operating voltage, current limit, microstepping mode, speed ramping, load on the motor, and even the decay mode, so even with information about your motor, you will probably need to do some experimenting with your specific setup to see what you can achieve. This post by Ben is a good place to start and has some more details.

In general, I recommend looking in your motor’s datasheet for a pull-out torque curve, which should give you some expectations (at least for the given test parameters).

Brandon

I just realized that you specified you were using the #2267 motor in the subject line of the post. You can find a datasheet for that motor in the “Resources” tab of the motor’s product page. As shown there, the speed in the pull-out torque curve only goes up to 5k PPS, which is 750 RPM (since it’s in half step mode). So, if you are successfully getting close to 2700 RPM, that is fairly impressive for that motor, especially considering you are running it at a lower current limit than it is rated for.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,
thanks a lot for your time taken to explain.