Tic T249 Stepper Motor Controller gets slow during continous operation

Hello All,
I am using the Tic T249 Stepper Motor Controller in my project. The controller will be pinged for current position and also controlled to a new position (with a 2 to 3 second delay) for about 30 to 40 minutes.

But I noticed that the time taken to control and read the current position of the controller, increases linearly during the course of the capture (and delaying the operation). Initially it takes around 0.2 second to read the current position and increase to > 0.5 after 20 minutes.

Is this happening because of the memory of the controller getting filled up fast ?. what can be the fix here?.

Hello, karthik_26.

The memory on the Tic should not be filling up. In general, even the 0.2 second time you mentioned seems pretty slow. Could you post more information about your system, such as details about how you are communicating with the Tic and getting the time measurements?

Brandon

@BrandonM : Apologies for the lay reply. But here is the info: I am controlling the motor through python ticcmd (connected through USB port).

The time is the difference before executing:

[“ticcmd”, “-d”, self._serial_number, “-s”]
and after retrieving the status of a variable in the dict it returns.

I wonder if there is a memory leak in Python or in the code for parsing ticcmd’s output. When the timing gets slow, could you try stopping and restarting your Python program quickly, without touching the Tic, and see if the timing goes back to normal?

If you can simplify your code to the simplest complete version that demonstrates the problem and post your entire simplified code here, we might be able to spot a problem.

Brandon