Can anyone please confirm the width of the Tamiya 70097 twin motor gear drive set and whether it will fit into
the RP5 chassis. Some mechanical mods are anticipated. The intention here is to add some speed to this chassis mainly.
It will be controlled by an SVP324 which should have plenty of juice.
This retro fit off course assumes/anticipates/involves:
- removing the existing motors and gear drive altogether (still have to calculate the gear ratio which is an unknown)
- removing the straight long 6xAA holder and replacing with a flatter battery pack equivalent(s)
- replacing the tamiya motors with the pololu equivalent (lower current, higher voltage)
- possibly having to alter the length of the hex 3mm shaft to make them fit (with/without a aluminium hub)
- the outside rubber treads/wheels will be not altered in any way (all changes from the inside of the chassis)
Is it feasible or worth it? After research and advice from Jan, the metal micromesh HP motors dont look like they will make it,
especially appear the added payload of the batteries, pololu perspex plates, SVP board, wires, hex screws, nuts, etc.
Trying to keep the solution cheap if possible. Has one done this , or has attempted to?