Stepper motor voltage and torque

Hello,
I have a stepper motor and two configurable controllers with 24V and 12V . If I change the controller from 24V to 12V, will it reduce the torque? TNA.

My stepper motor config - Running current - 400mA, phase resistance - 30 ohms, holding current - 100mA, frequency - 75Hz.
Configurable controller 1 : Voltage - 24V, running current - 400mA, holding current - 100mA, frequency - 75Hz.
Configurable controller 2 : Voltage - 12V, running current - 400mA, holding current - 100mA, frequency - 75Hz.

Hello all,
Currently, I’m using a bipolar motor has got 8Ncm of pull out torque. But, I want to change it to a unipolar motor.
My stepper motor config - Supply voltage -12V, running current - 400mA, phase resistance - 30 ohms, holding current - 100mA, frequency - 75Hz.
What is the torque drop I can expect for the same parameters with unipolar?
If it is a significant drop, how can I fix it with the unipolar design?

Hello.

I combined your posts in the same thread since it seems like they are likely about the same project or motors.

As long as you are powering your stepper motor with at least its rated voltage, it should be able to produce its rated torque. Increasing the supply voltage might lead to small improvements, but how much will depend on the specific motor.

Regarding your question about bipolar and unipolar stepper motors, are you talking about driving the same motor in a unipolar configuration instead of a bipolar configuration, or are you talking about two different motors? If you are talking about using one motor in a bipolar or unipolar control configuration, in general I would expect switching to a unipolar configuration to reduce the torque your motor can produce, but how much depends on your specific motor and other details of your setup (like your target speed). You might look at this article for more information. If you are talking about two different motors, you would need to check the specification for each motor to assess which will produce more torque.

- Patrick