Stepper Control

Hi

New to stepper motors.

I want to use one of these motors :

alibaba.com/product-gs/43517 … image.html

I want to be able to have adjustable voltage from 0 to 5 volt and reverse. For a small vehicle. Can I use one of these TB6612FNG Dual Motor Driver Carrier from Pololu. Using one only. The motor is 4 wire, can voltgage be adjusted by a pot ?

Can the stepper torque be adjusted ? at different speeds.

Thanks
Charlie

Hello, Charlie.

While the TB6612 can be used to drive a stepper motor (generally speaking, all you need to drive a bipolar stepper motor is a dual H-bridge), you probably want a driver specifically intended for stepper motors, like our A4988 stepper motor driver carrier. Why you are looking for adjustable voltage and adjustable torque?

- Ben

Hi

Thanks for info. I am experimenting for a motor vehicle and using smartphone for speed steer etc. All I ned at the moment is a way for the motor to be able to go from 0-5 volt and reverse. Other items sorted (well sort of).

I had been told that with stepper motors you can adjust torque thru the rev range… I would want to do this for setting up. But this would need a programmable chip. Once torque set it would remain the same.

I may have misunderstood how easy it would be to use a stepper. In my mind I see a board like you showed me with an adjustable voltage control. Chip would be programmable. Maybe I have got it wrong.

Your comments appreciated

Thnaks
Charlie

I don’t understand what you mean by this. If you can better describe what you’re trying to do, I might be able to give you some suggestions.

- Ben

Hi

To explain a bit better. Using a smartphone interface to move the vehicle forward from stopped up to full speed and at some point reduce to stop again and reverse as required.

Your comments appreciated.

Charlie

Unfortunately, that description is too general for me to be able to give you any meaningful feedback. I need to know things like what kind of signals you can generate to control your stepper motor. What do you have so far for the control side of your system, aside from a smart phone? You keep saying something about 0 to 5 V, but it’s not clear to me what you mean by that.

- Ben