Specifying appropriate stepper motor driver for my application

Hello,

I was looking to buy a DC stepper motor driver appropriate for my application. I am using a 1.68 A rated dc motor (specifications found here: https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=3&catid=24&pcid=21&prodid=348) for my project with a teensy 3.2 MCU with the option of swapping out to an ESP32 MCU.

I initially thought of using an Arduino nano coupled with the TB6600 motor driver but it turns out I required more RAM so I opted for the other two MCUs mentioned above. My issue now is the 3.3V GPIO pin tolerances of my MCU. The TB6600 uses 5 V as for its logic signal and I risk frying my MCU due to this.

I have considered using logic level shifters but that is not the most practical for my application as it requires three units to be installed next to each other (ie: three stepper motor drivers in with 1 power source feeding them in parallel).

Thank you,
Abe

Hello.

It is not clear to me why logic level shifters would not be practical due to the units being installed next to each other, but if you decide to try it, you might consider our 4-channel logic level shifter.

We carry a few stepper motor drivers and controllers that would be appropriate for driving that stepper motor will work with 3.3V systems. In particular, you might consider the following drivers:

or the following controllers (which have several interface options, including the common STEP/DIR):

Each of those options have various features and microstepping modes available, so I suggest looking over the product pages to see if any of them seem appropriate for your application.

Brandon

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for your valuable feedback! Would this be appropriate: https://www.pololu.com/product/2133/pictures and configurable with the Arduino IDE??

Thanks

The DRV8825 carrier would require additional cooling to be able to get the full 1.68A per phase that your motor is rated for, which is why I did not include it in my original post. I am not sure what you mean when you ask if it is configurable with the Arduino IDE; it is not programmable. You would need to set the current limit using the onboard potentiometer, and send the appropriate STEP/DIR signals to it from your controller. Similarly, you would need to supply the M0, M1, and M2 logic signals to put the board in the desired step mode.

If you are still interested in the DRV8825 over the ones I suggested in my previous post, we do carry a version of the Tic that uses that driver: the Tic T825. Like our DRV8825 carrier board, the Tic T825 would need additional cooling to reach 1.68A per phase continuously, but it is configurable via USB through the Tic Control Center software, and has a variety of control interfaces, including USB, TTL serial, I2C, RC servo signals, analog voltage, quadrature encoder, and STEP/DIR.

Brandon

1 Like