Simple motor controler 18V7

Am I correct in choosing this controller to drive a motor to a limit switch which stops the motor then be able to drive to a lower limit switch and stop.

Dave

Hello, Dave.

I am not totally sure what “lower” means in your application. If I understand correctly, you want to be able to drive the motor in one direction until it hits a limit switch. Then a little bit later, you want to drive the motor in the same direction as before until it hits another limit switch. Is that right? That is not something that the Simple Motor Controller was designed to do, but there are several ways you could do it if you added your own programmable microcontroller in the system.

–David

Sorry for the confusion, by the lower limit I mean back to its original position i.e forward & reverse to limit switches

OK, I think the controller will work for you then. The Simple Motor Controller can move forward until it hits a limit switch and then move in reverse until it hits a limit switch and then repeat. It won’t change directions on its own though; you will need to have something controlling it like a microcontroller, joystick, or RC pulse signal.

–David

That’s great just what I need.
Dave

When using the 18 V 7 controller as discussed do the switches have to be rated at the motor current or the board requirements. If the later what is the minimum / maximum current needed to switch.

Dave

The motor current will not be going through the switch, so the switch only has to be rated for a small amount of current. Any switch that can handle at least 10 mA should be totally fine. You should even be able to make it work with less than 10 mA if you think carefully about the value of the pull-up resistor you are using. --David

Final question, can I use normally closed switches as I have some normally closed 50 ma tactile switches in stock.

Dave

Hello, Dave.

Normally-closed switches are the best choice. The SMC user’s guide explains how to connect them (scroll to the bottom):

pololu.com/docs/0J44/4.4

(There is a separate section that explains how to configure the controller settings for the limit switch.)

- Ben

That’s great many thanks
Dave