Question about Pololu Dual VNH5019 Motor Driver Shield

Hi,
I’m in need of controlling independently 6 DC motors from a PC.
My idea is to use an Arduino One connected with a Pololu Dual VNH5019 Motor Driver Shield (pololu.com/catalog/product/2502)
What I want to know if it’s possible to stack more than one (in this case 3) Pololus Dual VNH5019 and how do I control each of them individually.
In case it can’t be done can someone recommend me a way to do it?

Thank you very much

You can stack two but it will require modifying to board. They are designed to be modified for pin change, but you still would have to run some wires. To use all 8 pins for each driver, you will only have two pins left on the Arduino, which would probably be 0 and 1, for programming/serial.

Stacking three would be difficult. There are only 18 digital outputs (including the analog pins), which is enough for PWM and direction control of three motors, but no enable pins or current sense. It uses every pin, which means you will have to disconnect at least one board to program the Arduino.

You would probably be much better off using the drivers’ back connector and wiring all three boards to a Mega, which has enough pins to fully control all six motors.

I had the same question about the possibility of stacking the Pololu Dual VNH5019 Motor Driver Shields in order to control 4 DC motors. I have an Arduino Mega 2560 and saw the response in regard to using connections on the back of the driver shield. Is there anything extra I would need to purchase in order to make the shields connect at the back for easy disassembly and how would the connection be made? I am new to micro controllers but have spent countless hours over the past month studying and doing research for an electrical engineering project so, I am not completely clueless but still a newbie no less. Thanks in Advance.

-Can’tGetRight

If you could just solder the board directly together, all you would need is some wire and soldering supplies. If you need to be able to disconnect them, I would suggest using headers. You would need snapable male headers to connect to the Mega. Some headers are included with the 5019 Driver Shield. All you need are the headers, wire and soldering supplies.

Hi, Can’tGetRight.

You might also consider some shorting blocks for returning the cut-trace connections to the default state.

- Ryan