Power Settings for Stepper Motor and Tic 36v4

Hello,

I am pretty new to using this type of technology and I’m not sure if I totally messed up and bought the wrong motor controller for my stepper motor. Here are the specs for the motor:
Rated Voltage: 2.3 V
Current/Phase: 5.5A
Holding Torque: 4.6 Nm

I chose the Tic 36v4 module because it had the max amps that were closest to that of my motor. I was able to wire everything up correctly with the chip and the motor, however I’m stuck at the next step of powering the module and testing the motor.

So my questions are, will the Tic controller even work with my motor? And if so, what should I set my power supply to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello.

You can probably use the Tic to control that motor, but you will need to run it at a lower power since the Tic 36v4 can only continuously handle about 4A per phase without additional cooling. Keep in mind that limiting the power draw will limit the performance (e.g. torque) of the motor.

As for how to determine what power supply you need or how it should be set, I suggest reviewing the “Choosing the power supply, Tic, and stepper motor” section of the Tic user’s guide.

- Patrick