Position control with linear actuator LACT8P-12V-20

Hi!

I’m planning to implement a 3-RPS robot.

The robot has 3 linear actuators and since I want to use it as a solar tracker with photovoltaic concentrators, I need certain precision (around 0.1 mm steps) in the linear movement of each actuator.

What linear movement step accuracy can be achieved with the LACT8P-12V-20?

Also the resistance of the potentiometer has a tolerance of 0.3 kOhms and I don’t know how much it affects the precision of the linear movement.

What is the pitch of the leadscrew and what would be the distance traveled per revolution?

The mechanism is a ballscrew or a normal screw-nut?

Also, can you please tell me the backlash in mm?

I would really appreciate if you could provide me such details.

Thank you.

Hello.

The movement precision of the linear actuator will largely be a result of your controller for driving the actuator and reading the analog potentiometer signal. In case it helps, we were able to achieve sub-millimeter accuracy using one of our Jrk motor controllers, but we have not characterized that accuracy or the mechanical backlash in further detail.

We do not have dimension information, like pitch for the lead screw, beyond what is already available on the product page and in the datasheet. The actuator you mentioned uses a normal screw-nut, not a ball screw, but some of the Industrial-duty actuators we carry do use ball screws.

By the way, I think the tolerance value you mentioned for the potentiometer you mentioned is referring to the tolerance of the maximum and minimum resistance, not the tolerance of the resistance at any given point in the potentiometer’ range. So as long as you calibrate the maximum and minimum feedback values for each individual actuator, I do not expect that to impact the precision you can achieve.

- Patrick