Pololu Simple Motor Control Center doesn't recognize 18v7

My computer (Windows XP, 2002) does recognize the controller when I plug it in to the USB drive, but the software, “Pololu Simple Motor Control Center” does not recognize the controller. A friend suggested that I change the COM number to either 1 or 2 (it’s 6 right now), but I cannot figure out how to do this. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Hello.

To change the COM port on Windows XP, you can follow the steps listed in this Microsoft link, but I do not suspect that changing the COM port of your Simple Motor Controller device will fix the issue.

What service pack of Windows XP are you running? If you are not running Service Pack 3 (SP3), I recommend upgrading to it. Please see the note for Windows XP users under step 9 in the “Installing Windows Drivers and Software” section of the Simple Motor Controller User’s Guide for more information.

If you were able to install the fixed version of the driver and still have issues, can you post a screenshot of your Device Manager with the “Pololu USB Devices” and “Ports (COM & LPT)” tabs expanded?

- Amanda