New project with Baby Orangutun - request for schematic diagram and software

Hello all,

My name is Wilfred and I live in The Netherlands, Europe. I’m currently working on a project for which I would like to use some Pololu products.

My machine will have to operate stand-alone with no connection to a computer or any other kind of control device.

The machine is equipped with two DC gear motors, the baby orangutan B-328 robot controller, NiMH battery pack and a on/off push button.

Pololu.pdf (90.8 KB)

How the machine operates:

Push the start button
Power on

Gear motor 1 – 100 revolutions cw
Gear motor 1 – stop
Gear motor 1 – 100 revolutions ccw
Gear motor 1 – stop

Gear motor 2 – 10 revolutions cw
Gear motor 2 – stop, delay 3 seconds
Gear motor 2 – stop

Power off

Gear motors run simultaneously and independently.

For prototype use, I would like to adjust these items:

1.Start time both gear motors after pressing push button
2.Speed at the start
3.Number of revolutions cw and ccw
4.Stop times both gear motors
5.Delay time gear motor 2

The items I would like to have:

1.a schematic diagram for the hardware
2.the programm to let the machine do what’s intended to do.

Before building the device, I would like to simulate the software in Proteus or similar software.

My questions:

1.I would like to receive an example of a schematic diagram or a link to a website so I can learn how to draw schematic diagram myself.
2.I would like to see a program suitable for controlling the device or a link to a website so I can learn how to write software myself.
3.Could you give me some advise which software is best suitable for simulating the Baby Orangutan B-328?

Thanks in advance for your help and information.

Best regards,

Wilfred

Hello, Wilfred.

It sounds like you want someone to help you design your system. We cannot do that for you or help you write your entire program. You would need to do that yourself. However, if you need help troubleshooting your code or need a second opinion on your wiring diagram, you can post them here, and I would be happy to take a look.

To help you get familiar with the Baby Orangutan and using the AVR library, I suggest following the steps for your operating system in our Pololu AVR Programming Quick Start Guide. For more information about the library, you can look at the Pololu AVR C/C++ Library User’s Guide.

We do not have or know of any software that emulates the Baby Orangutan behavior. I do not think you are likely to find software like that. It is probably not quite what you are looking for, but you might look into using an AVR debugger to help you monitor your code as you write it.

By the way, it sounds like you want to do position control in your project. It is not clear from your description how you are reading the number of rotations each motor completes, but just in case you do not already know, you would need to use encoders or some other type of sensor to control the position of a motor.

- Amanda