Multiple stepper motors controlled by a PC

I have to control more than 10 stepper motors (bipolar or uni polar) by a PC, can any one help me to do this.

Hello.

Our Tic stepper motor controllers can control a stepper motor via USB from a PC and if you have 10 USB ports available, it should be possible to control 10 of them (and 10 stepper motors) at the same time.

If you do not want to use 10 separate USB connections, it is also possible to daisy chain them and use a single USB to TTL serial adapter to send them commands from a PC. You can read more about how to do that in the “Setting up serial control” section of the Tic user’s guide.

-Nathan

Thank you for your quick support, I will get back to you after referring the documents.

Hello,

Is it possible to control a unipolar stepper motor with a tic stepper motor controller?

If the unipolar motor has 6 or 8 wires, it should be possible to connect it as a bipolar motor. You can see more about those connections in the FAQs of our stepper motor drivers. It also should be possible to connect a 5-lead unipolar motor, though the current limiting and microstepping features of the Tic will not work.

-Nathan

Thank you for your support.

Hi,

How can we control 5 different tic motor controller boards by a pololu software.Can you please explain with the help of some screenshots.

Hello.

In our Tic Control Center software, there is a drop-down list in the upper left corner that lets you select which Tic the GUI controls by serial number. It is possible to run multiple instances of the software at the same time and connect each to a different Tic.

Also, if you intend to do some kind of scripting using the ticcmd command line utility, it is possible to specify the serial number of the Tic to send the command to using the -d option. We have added some text to the Setting up USB control section of the User’s Guide to better explain that.

-Nathan

Hi,
Is it possible to control 10 tic stepper motor controllers from a PC by using a 10 port USB.2 Hub.What are the specifications of the recommended USB Hub to use with tic stepper motor controllers.

Hello,
Please mention the maximum length of USB cables which can be used in between the tic motor controller and PC.

Hello.

It should be possible to use the Tic controllers with a USB 2.0 hub. We do not have any specific recommendations, but we recommend using a high quality powered hub. Also, we do not have any specific recommendations for a USB cable. You might be able to use something like an active USB extension cable for longer lengths.

-Nathan

Hello,
Can you please suggest how to synchronise the control in two tic stepper motor controller boards from a combination of 10 tic stepper motor controllers by using the usb interface.
We require to rotate some stepper motors in the same sequences and the others in different sequences.

Also please suggest a simple micro controller which can control 10 tic stepper motor controllers independendly by a GUI if possible.We require to continue the stepper motors rotation in particular sequences even if we disconnect the interface from PC.

The Tics do not have an interface to talk directly with each other and there are no other special provisions for synchronized movements. If you need some particularly tight synchronization, I suggest looking into the latency of the USB bus to see if it is low enough for your purposes.

Also, we do not know of any microcontrollers with a GUI for sequencing steppers.

-Nathan

Hello,
Can you please let me know the details of GUI options to control tic controllers if we are connecting it through TTL serial interface.
I

Our GUI only controls the Tic over USB, not TTL serial. We are not aware of any third party GUIs to control the Tic over TTL serial.

-Nathan