Motor Tic 36v4 with item 1475

Hi, I would like to know if I can use this motor Stepper Motor: Bipolar, 200 Steps/Rev 57×76mm, 3.2V, 2.8 A/Phase with Tic 36v4 and relative shaft adapter from your site to support and rotate (360degree) a camera device. Its weight is about 8kg. Do you have any suggestion?

Hello.

Whether or not that stepper motor (item #1478, SY57STH76-2804A) is adequate for your load depends on several factors other than just its weight, including some specific to your setup, such as the inertia of the load, target speed, how the load will be supported, your supply voltage, and so on. In general though, 8 kgf sounds quite high for that motor, so I suspect you probably would be pushing the limits of what that motor can do, if not exceeding them. You might be able to assess that better by looking at the specs and the pull-out torque curve in the motor’s datasheet, which is available under the “Resources” tab.

- Patrick

Hi Patrick,

of course, I understand your question to address the problem better. I can say that the instrument will move (i.e. rotate) as low as possible and it will stand on a possible stainless-steel plate on the base of about 200x80x1mm. It maybe also be less than 8kg. Currently the device is 3kg but it will have a lead shield inside that I am still checking its weight contribution. In relation to the supply voltage I will keep the specification of the Tic36v4 and of the 1478 motor.

It is still impractical for me to gauge with certainty whether or not that motor will be appropriate for your system beyond the assessment I shared already that the load generally sounds like its on the high side.

You mentioned keeping the supply voltage within the range of the Tic and the motor. Please keep in mind that the constraint there is generally from the Tic since it uses active current limiting. Using a higher voltage than the stepper motor is rated for could actually be beneficial and allow for higher step rates. The FAQs tab on the motor’s product page and the “Choosing the power supply, Tic, and stepper motor” section of the Tic user’s guide have more information about that.

- Patrick