Micro Metal Gearbos Motor with threaded shaft

I’ve found a variant of the pololu 6V HP 200RPM micro metal gearbox motor on Amazon that has a long threaded motor shaft from the gearbox (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07555C17Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I’m using it for a project in my embedded systems course. I can find the base motor and gearbox on Pololu (https://www.pololu.com/product/997), but none with this threaded shaft.
Are these just knock-off variants or does Pololu have them as well? I’d like to see if theres one that also has the extended tail shaft so I could use one of the encoder kits. I specifically chose this motor because of the package size and cost requirements of my project. Thanks in advance.

Hello.

That is indeed a completely different gearmotor made by a different manufacturer, so it could differ from our micro metal gearmotors (which we make ourselves) significantly in terms of performance and quality.

We currently don’t have any stock units with threaded shafts, but we can make customized versions that way for special high-volume orders, and we are looking into whether it would be worth stocking a few versions with shafts like that.

It sounds like you probably are not in that high-volume scenario, in which case you might also consider trying the unit on Amazon and getting a separate gearmotor from us to see if you can get our motor with encoder support to work with the other gearbox. If you get the Amazon unit first and let us know how many teeth are on the pinion gear, we can see if one of our gearmotors matches at least the tooth count.

Grant

Thank you for the information. That’s too bad about the motor. I’d love to have a better quality one. This one works well, but the threaded shaft was slightly bent upon arrival, and the gearbox can be quite noisy under load. However it is a surprisingly strong little device running on fairly low current even at stall (about 300mA at 6V under heavy load).
I’m using these for a prosthetic device I’m developing for one of my college courses. I won’t be needing a bulk order but when I’m done I’ll be releasing my files and instructions for free use and providing a link for people to purchase each of the parts (mostly Amazon links). Let me know if you make your own version available so I can direct my link to your product.