Mac OSX Finding maestro USB virtual serial port numbers

Hi there,

Thanks for reading!

I’ve connected my micro maestro via USB to my mac and I’m trying to find the two virtual serial port numbers the maestro created, so I can control the servos via a MATLAB function I found on the forums: movePololuServo(port, channel, servo_setting).

How can I find the serial port numbers? Are the numbers generated only when the maestro is plugged into mac? Can they be found from the control software on windows?

I tried looking through the forum for an answer, some people have found the serial number here but I dont know how they did it.

There is mention in the comments here about using the Linux control centre, if there’s no clear answer I might try that.

Some background info:
-I setup the maestro on a windows computer and put it in USB Dual Mode.
-I’ve tried using instfindall() in terminal, but it returns nothing. Do i need to put a term in the brackets so terminal knows what to look for?
-I’ve tried typing /dev/cu.* into terminal and i get the following response:
bash: /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port: Permission denied
-Using OSX 10.12.3

Thank you for your help!
George

Hello.

From your error message (in your third bullet point), it looks like you entered the wrong command to list all the devices connected to your Mac. Please type ls /dev/cu* into Terminal and post the results here.

- Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your time - I actually figured out you can find the serial port number from the USB section in the ‘about this mac’ menu; Once I tried using that serial number matlab listed all of the virtual ports and I simply had to use the lowest one.

Interestingly terminal gave the following response:
GJCs-MBPro:~ georgecharnley$ 1s /dev/cu.*
-bash: 1s: command not found

Thanks,
George

I am glad you found another way to see the serial port numbers on your Mac; thanks for letting me know.

By the way, the reason why you got that error is because you used the number one, 1s, instead of a lowercase L, ls.

- Amanda

Amanda,

Ah yes. My bad! Thank you for your help.

George