Jrk G2 21v3 Power Supply?

This is my first attempt at using a motor controller and actuator w/ radio control. After reading the user’s guide I still can’t figure this out. I’m learning as I go, but I’m still missing something.

I’m building a large-scale child’s ride on Jeep, and I’m converting it to Radio Control. For steering I’m using a Jrk G2 21v3 with a Glideforce Linear Actuator w/ feedback (LACT2P-12V-10). It will eventually be operated by two 12V, 33amp/hr sealed batteries wired in series.

While programing the Jrk I’m using an AC/DC adapter with 12V 5A output.

When running the system using the AC/DC adapter I get a “Motor Driver Error”. Functioning the steering/actuator back and forth through its range of motion for 15 to 20 seconds gives me the error. The count ranges from 15 to 22 then I get the “No Power Error”. Which shuts down the Jrk. This occurs when using both the RC or USB input.

However, when hooked to the battery (12V, 33a/h), the system works perfectly. No errors using RC or USB input.

Both the ac/dc adapter and the battery are showing just over 12V. The amps when the Jrk is idle are the same using the battery or AC adapter. 0.17mA with USB input, and 0.52mA with RC input.

Can the motor driver error occur when the current (amps) are too low?

Is it possible the AC adapter isn’t producing enough amps to power the Jrk?

Is there an AC/DC adapter you recommend for use w/ this Jrk/Glideforce combo?

What am I missing that could cause this?

Technically, I’ve got it working the way I want. I’m just trying to learn why it won’t work using a plug-in ac/dc adapter. I don’t have a laptop, so I’ve been programing the Jrk at my desk. Having it work off a plugin adapter means bringing less stuff to my office.

Thanks for the help.
Stay Safe,
Paul

Hello, Paul.

The extent of your project is not entirely clear to me, but please note that we do not recommend our products for applications where failure could result in injury or significant property damage.

The motor driver error on the Jrk G2 21v3 can be caused by the driver’s over-temperature or over-current conditions or when motor power is connected but its voltage is not high enough. Since it works fine for you when powered from the battery, it seems likely that your power adapter’s voltage is dropping under certain conditions. For example, if you command the motor to run full speed from a stopped position, it can draw a large burst of current that could cause your power supply voltage to dip. Similarly, switching directions quickly at speed can create even larger current spikes.

If that is the cause of the problem, it sounds like you might be operating right near the limit of what your power adapter can handle, so if you want to continue using that supply, you might try taking some measures to reduce current spikes, such as using acceleration/deceleration limiting to smooth out the motion and/or limiting the maximum duty cycle.

Brandon

Thanks for the quick response. That is what’s I suspected, but wasn’t confident enough to be sure. I’ll try the limiting the motor settings.

Stay Safe

1 Like