Jrk 21v3 Soft Current Limit to detect Linear Actuator obstruction?

Hi,

I’m using a Jrk 21v3 to control a Linear Actuator.

I’d like the actuator to pull a handle, but if the handle is locked it will meet with resistance.
Is it possible to use the Soft Current Limit feature to sense increased motor current when the motor is labored?
I understand this driver does not have a hardware limit feature.

I tried playing with the Configuration Utility, but I can’t seem to trigger errors when I hold the actuator while it’s moving to a target. Free movement is about .5A while holding the actuator generates up to ~1.6A.

Is the Soft Current Limit the correct way to approach this?

Thanks

-John

We have two products with “Jrk 21v3” in the name: the original Jrk 21v3 and the Jrk G2 21v3. You did not specify that you are using the G2 version, but since you are referring to the soft current limit, it sounds like that is the one you are using. If that assumption is wrong, please let me know.

You should be able to use the soft current limit to detect that kind of situation. Have you configured the soft current limit in the “Motor” tab of the Jrk G2 Configuration Utility to an appropriate value and changed the “Soft overcurrent” error setting to “Enabled and latched” in the “Errors” tab? If you have done those things and are still not able to trigger the error, can you post a copy of your settings file? You can save your settings file from the “File” drop-down menu of the Jrk G2 Configuration Utility while the controller is connected.

Brandon