Jrk 21v3 not recognized by computer

Received my jrk 21v3 recently, and finally got everything ready to begin the programming process ( I am a Mac user, and had to procure a PC laptop)…I am running Windows XP. I have all the needed updates, and when I go to plug in the jrk, nothing happens. No recognition, no lights…nothing. The Jrk configuration utility is all greyed out. I know the USB is giving power, because it powers a mouse, and when I hook a 12 volt battery up to the jrk sepparately from the computer, the yellow led blinks.

Initially I was ignorent to the fact that these units needed to be programmed and hooked my wiring up for analog control. Could I have fried my jrk ? Is there a diagnostic test I can do to hopefully salvage this, and save it from a bandsaw death ?

thanks in advance…

Hello,

Do you have another USB cable that you can try, or can you verify with another device that your cable actually works (and that it works in that port of your computer)?

What did you connect to the jrk during your initial tests? Shorting the USB power line to ground is one of several ways that your could have damaged your jrk.

-Paul

All right then…who would have thought that all usb cables are not equal…

A different mini usb to usb seems to have done the trick. It is now being “seen”. Thanks for the help…stay tuned. I’m sure once I get the potentiometer and the motor mechanically tied together there will be more questions…

Oh…is there a recommended potentiometer value that I should use ?

thanks again.

Okay, I am glad to hear that you got it working. A potentiometer around 10k would be ideal, but anything from 1k to 30k (and maybe more) should work fine.

-Paul

Hello :wave:, I reopen the topic because I meet the same problem recently.

I’m able to communicate (with I2C) with my Jrk, but not in USB (No Pololu components by typing lsusb on Linux).

I identify the issue by switching cables, computers and spare components. Additionally, I currently use a breadboard for my test on the device, in order to reduce the risk of short-circuit.

Here some photos:

Any clues to retrieve my electronic card ?

Hello, TCMobius.

Have you ever been able to connect to the board via USB? The most common cause of a USB device not showing up is probably the USB cable; some cables are only intended for charging and lack the requires lines for data communication. Could you test your USB cables with a different device to confirm they are capable of data transfer?

Could you try removing all of your connections and describe what the 3 LEDs on the board do when you connect it to USB?

Brandon

Hi brandon,

Thank you for your answer.

To reply to your interrogations:

Have you ever been able to connect to the board via USB?

Yes, I already made multiples successful tests with USB.

The most common cause of a USB device not showing up is probably the USB cable; some cables are only intended for charging and lack the requires lines for data communication. Could you test your USB cables with a different device to confirm they are capable of data transfer?

You’re right, I was aware of this possibility, but I tried to connect the Jrk with at least 2 USB cables capable of data transfer.

Could you try removing all of your connections and describe what the 3 LEDs on the board do when you connect it to USB?
When I only connect the USB câble, I have the green and red light ON. Like you can see on my previous post.

Update: After some times without touching the Jrk, I was able to have an USB output on the jrkgui.
At first, the software show me an Error 13 (he fails to connect). Then I restart with a sudo command on the terminal, and it was OK for 10 minutes.
Unfortunately, after I just put it on my breadboard (not under tension or current), I lost the USB signal.

So I’m still as the same state :smiling_face_with_tear:

Does it start working again if you remove it from your breadboard? It might be possible that your breadboard is damaged and shorting out some pins.

If it remains unresponsive, could you clarify if the green LED is blinking or lit solidly? Can you think of anything notable that happened between when it was working and when it started giving you problems (e.g. installing it in a setup, soldering some connections, a static zap, pulling on the USB cable, etc)?

Also, could you post some clearer pictures of the underside of your Jrk from a different angle?

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Does it start working again if you remove it from your breadboard? It might be possible that your breadboard is damaged and shorting out some pins.

No It doesn’t. Even if I observe other improvements by switching my old breadboard.

If it remains unresponsive, could you clarify if the green LED is blinking or lit solidly?

The green LED is blinking

Can you think of anything notable that happened between when it was working and when it started giving you problems (e.g. installing it in a setup, soldering some connections, a static zap, pulling on the USB cable, etc)?

No sorry, I didn’t notice a pattern to reproduce the issue.

could you post some clearer pictures of the underside of your Jrk from a different angle?

Below, I sent other pictures of my jrk21v3.

As described in the LED feedback section of the Jrk G2 user’s guide, a blinking green LED indicates the Jrk has not received a particular message from the computer that acknowleding that it is Jrk recognized. Typically, this is because the USB cable that you’re using does not have data lines or it is damaged (i.e. the wires are only making intermittent connections); could you test your USB cable with a different device to make sure it works correctly with it?

If you can successfully use your USB cable with another device reliably, then there could be a problem with something on the board (such as the USB connector).

Brandon