Jrk 12v12 USB Motor Controller with Feedback

Hello Everyone,

I want to use the above card to control a 6 v motor that will turn in both directions. What I’m not sure is the power supply needed for external connection to the card to drive the 6v motor. From what I understand a 6v to 16v external power source can be used with this card. So…if I use an external source of 12v, will the card know that it is driving a 6v motor and limit the output power to the motor to 6v or do I have to try and find a 6v external power source?

Thanks,

Ed

Hello, Ed.

The Jrk cannot detect what voltage your motor is rated to run at, but you can configure it to limit the output to your motor. To do this, you can configure the settings for the “Max duty cycle” through USB from the “Motor” tab of the Jrk Configuration Utility.

For example, if you are using a 12V supply and want to limit the output to the motor to effectively 6V, you can set the “Forward” and “Reverse” settings for “Max duty cycle” to 300, which will limit the output to 50% duty cycle.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Thanks very much. That would mean I don’t need to try and find a dedicated 6v power supply. I have 4 6v motors to drive and finding a 6v power supply that delivers more than 3 amps seems to be very difficult to find. Setting Max Duty Cycle to 300 seems to be the solution I am looking for as I have a ready supply of 12 volts.

Best Regards,

Ed

1 Like

Hello Brandon,

Another question…maybe two. Does this card have onboard memory or do I need to have a program to set the Duty cycle? I’m worried that if the USB connection drops the cart output might change and send higher voltages to the motors.

The max duty cycle settings are stored in non-volatile memory on the Jrk, so once it is configured, it will use that value (even through power cycles) until you change it.

Brandon

Excellent. Thanks :slight_smile:
Ed

1 Like