Improvement DRV8825 Carrier - pcb land pattern

Hey this is really just a improvement request - all in all you guys have been great - and the drv8825 works like a charm. My only comment is it is difficult to verify the part for pcb layout - layout programs like upverter (which have a verification service) requires a technical drawing or pcb land pattern in the datasheet (not to mention it just makes the task easier). At the moment there isn’t a datasheet which has one (that i’m aware of). See particle photons for an example of what I mean. docs.particle.io/datasheets/pho … h-headers-

Thanks!

Hello.

Thank you for your suggestions. We do provide a DXF file that shows the locations of all of the DRV8825’s holes, which might be similar to what you are looking for. You can find the DRV8825’s DXF file under the “Resources” tab on any of the DRV8825 product pages.

If the DXF file does not contain all of the information that you are looking for, can you tell me what other details you are interested in?

- Amanda

I’m aware of the hole pattern, but if you are planning on bringing it into a schematic a hole pattern falls short.

Not to mention generally speaking it is good to have these things all in one place - if I am making a schematic and I have added a part to the library I will link to the datasheet not the webpage or dxf of the part the reason being, websites generally change.

Services like upverter take a snapshot of the linked pdf/datasheet to prevent losing that information if the part falls out of support. Separating all this information into different places makes things considerably more messy and difficult to track. Not to mention a hole pattern is a far cry from a land pattern with a proper technical drawing when it comes to quickly creating a part when prototyping a board.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. We have been making more detailed mechanical drawings for some of our newer products; for example:

https://www.pololu.com/file/0J782/ac02b-dimensions.pdf

I do not understand your “a hole pattern is a far cry from a land pattern” in the context of a product such as the DRV8825 carrier, which just has some standard header pins on a 0.1" grid. Beside the hole size depending on what pins you choose to use, it’s a really basic pad that you should choose based on your application. One person might want big 80-mil round pads, another might want 70-mil pads to give them room for one trace between pads with 10 mil trace/space constraints, and another person might want to do oblong pads to hit their target balance of solder volume and space between pads. Some people like putting small offsets in a row of holes to be able to press fit a header into the holes. We like to use square pads for ground pins in our designs, but that is hardly universal. What would you want our recommended land pattern to be?

- Jan