G2 Driver Interoperability

Hi, I just purchased a Dual G2 High-Power Motor Driver 24v18 and was very diligant to get the correct ratings for my system. What I missed was that there is one for the Arduino and a different one for the Raspberry Pi. My project is pi based and, of course, I purchased the Arduino version. From what I can tell the only difference is the pin layout for piggy-backing on the mcu board. I searched the forum but didn’t find anything on the subject and though others may also be interested. My question, before I open the package: is there any difference between the two versions (Arduino vs. Rapsberry Pi) of the G2 Motor Drivers other than the form factor?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Hi, Jon.

It should be totally doable to use one of our Dual G2 High-Power Motor Driver Shields with a Raspberry Pi. Besides the pin layout, the biggest difference between the shields and Dual G2 High-Power Motor Drivers for Raspberry Pi is that the RPi boards have a 5V 2.5A regulator for powering the RPi while the shields have a 1A regulator that is set to 7.5V by default. The output of the regulator can be changed to 5V, but depending on what you want to do with your RPi and which version you have, 1A might not be enough. If you have a separate 5V source available, you might consider using that instead. If you decide to use the shield’s regulator, note that is does not have the RPi HAT specification’s ideal diode circuit built in, so you should be careful not to connect another 5V power source to it at the same time as it is connected to the regulator.

-Claire

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Clair. I will be running a separate regulator for my 5V rail so that will not effect me but it’s good information to have in the forum for reference.

Wow! How refreshing to work with an American company that not only has quality products but good customer service also. Keep up the good work guys!

2 Likes