Dual vnh5019 motor driver shield connection

Can dual vnh5019 motor driver shield be connected to arduino like l298n. Cause i have codes working properly with l298n. When the system work on ground it’ll need higher ampere. So i will plug the dual vnh5019 motor driver shield with jumper cables like l298n.

Hello, Oso.

You can connect the VNH5019 motor driver shield as a shield or as a standalone general purpose driver using the supplied headers. However, I do not expect your code to work with the VNH5019 motor driver shield without modification. You might find our “Arduino library for the Pololu dual VNH5019 motor driver shield” helpful. You can find it under the “Resources” tab of the VNH5019 shield’s product page.

-Derrill

Hello, I have the same issue as this old post. I have researched the users guide resources and the Arduino library. Coding is not my strength and I am not understanding the modifications you mention in your reply. Is the modification needed a hardware/wiring change or new sets of commands for the code?
Thanks

If you were previously using an L298N motor driver and plan on switching to our VNH5019 shield, you will need to update both your code and hardware connections as I mentioned above.

If you have specific questions about doing so, can you post more information about your setup and the problem you are having? You can see some useful tips for posting requests in a helpful way on our technical support page.

-Derrill

I was originally planning on using the 5019 as a stand alone driver, but as I have to make these changes a shield would make a better package. I need to operate the motors from a RF remote transmitter and operate the complete system from one 12v SLA battery. As a shield I would attach the jumper to power the Arduino through the Vin pin. I will connect to the 5v output pin of add to power the RF receiver module. I was using pin 2 of ard as an input to the receiver signal, but pin 2 now will tie as an output to M1 I believe I can use pin 3. I was not clearly understanding the users guide. The connection came soldered on the driver. Can I access the the 5v pin and pin 3 of the Arduino from the jumper socket on the drive or do I need to cut these pins. Also a confirmation that my setup is correct would be appreciated.
Thanks

You can power the Arduino by attaching the jumper pin as you mentioned, and the 5V and 3.3V pins on the Arduino pass through the VNH5019 shield, so you can use them as you would the Arduino pins. Pin 3 is not used by the shield, so I do not see any problem using it for your RF input signal.

In case you have not already found it, we do have an Arduino library for that shield listed under the “Resources” tab of the shield’s product page, which might make your code changes a little easier.

-Derrill