Dual TB9051FTG Motor Driver Shield

I have a Dual TB9051FTG Motor Driver Shield connected to an Arduino MEGA V3. If I am only using one motor, like M1, can I use the PWM pins reserved for the shield for other purposes?

Regards,

Tai

If you are using our Dual TB9051FTG Motor Driver Shield Arduino library, then it might be fine to use the pins reserved for the other motor channel if you just don’t call the functions for that motor channel. However, you should consider that when it’s initialized, some of those pins will still be set to outputs, which might be problematic depending on what you’re using them for.

You could also consider using the library’s alternate constructor to set the same pins for M1 and M2, except leaving the default M2PWM pin (required for the library to use 20 kHz PWM, which means not being able to use that particular pin in your application). Otherwise, you will probably have to modify the library to only interface with one motor channel.

Please note that if you’re mounting the driver on an Arduino as a shield, those pins will still be physically connected to the driver. So in that case, you should also cut the traces as described in the “Remapping the Arduino connections” section of the Dual TB9051FTG Motor Driver Shield user’s guide so you can use them freely for other purposes.

Brandon

Thank you Brandon! This is very helpful.

Best regards,

Tai

1 Like