Dual G2 High-Power Motor Driver 18v22 Shield for Arduino Not working with motors

Hi,

Some help needed.
Arduino Leonardo + G2 18V22 for Arduino, powered by 8P3S Li-ion battery (10,6V at the moment). Arduino powered through shields Vreg.

Demo program works without motors - I can see LED’s next to motor outputs fading in and out. Monitoring serial output, it reports me motor currents 0.

When I connect motor(s), power the boards up; blue LED lights up, so does the green LED on M1; then green LED on M1 fades out and red on M1 only blinks once, after that nothing more, just blue LED stays on.
Same thing when I use small 40x40x10 12VDC fans as motors.

Powering down. disconnecting motors, then powering up, green/red LED’s next to motor outputs fade in-out just as before.

As a last test, I connected the DC fan to M1 when test program started without motors and at the moment, M2 LED’s were active. Serial monitor reported:

M1 current: 0
M1 current: 976
M1 fault

Hi,
Which library are you using? This one? GitHub - pololu/dual-g2-high-power-motor-shield: Arduino library for the Pololu Dual G2 High Power Motor Driver Shields

Hi,

Should be the same (ver 2.0), installed through Arduino library manager.

If you read my previous post, board seems to work fine without motors connected. Once motor(s) connected, not even serial output comes through.

Hello.

It looks like you are getting a driver fault. The detectable faults on the Dual G2 High-Power Motor Driver 18v22 Shield include short circuits on the outputs, under-voltage, and over-temperature. 10.6V is quite low for a 3S Li-ion battery, so it might be possible that the battery voltage is dipping drastically when the current draw of a motor is added. You might try charging that first, before doing any further troubleshooting.

If that doesn’t help, could you post pictures of your setup that show all of your connections as well as close-up pictures of both sides of your driver shield?

By the way, it sounds like you described powering the system then connecting a DC fan to the motor output; please note that making and breaking connections while the system is powered is generally not good practice and can result in damage to the system.

Brandon