DRV8835 reverse direction speed values with DRV8835MotorShield

im using the DRV8835MotorShield library GitHub - pololu/drv8835-motor-shield: Arduino library for the Pololu DRV8835 Dual Motor Driver Shield for Arduino http://www.pololu.com/product/2511 with a DRV8835 in in/in mode on an Adafruit feather esp8266. I used my own pin mapping instead of the default pin maps.

The issue I am having is when setting positive speeds everything works fine. A speed of 0 stops the motor, a speed of 400 is full speed.
When I want to reverse the motor using negative speeds it seems that -1 is full speed and -400 is stopped. Why is it flipped like this and how can i correct this. I would expect -400 to be full speed in reverse.

Hello.

We have not tried our DRV8835 Dual Motor Driver Shield for Arduino or Arduino library with the Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266. However, please note that our library does not support IN/IN mode. So, if you want to use IN/IN mode and have control over the speed of the motors, then you will need to write your own code for handling the 4 PWM signals.

Is there a particular reason you want to use IN/IN mode?

Brandon