DRV8825 not working

Hey there! I’m using DRV8825 chip on 24v to run a stepper motor. It was been working fine for last couple of weeks but then all of sudden for some unknown reason the chip failed to work. ie. (when I connect the power source (24v) the LED indicator on the pwr source flickers and seems like it cuts off/on the pwr.) I noticed that there was a thin copper strand sitting in between two pins on top of the IC, perhaps could have shorted? (GND+BVREF)
How can I determine if the chip is not fried or the ways to test it?
Cheers.

Hello.

I am sorry that you are having problems with your DRV8825 stepper motor driver carrier. Could you tell me more about your setup? What is your power supply? Could you try measuring the output of your supply with a multimeter?

A short between GND and BVREF might damage the board. Could you post pictures of both sides of the board?

- Grant

Thanks for your reply Grant.

Power supply : 24vDC

Setup : Nothing too complicated, using power supply, DRV8825 stepper motor driver carrier and the motor. The setup/configuration use to work fine.

Measuring the output: When I connect the power supply to the board, it does this strange behaviour, it cuts off and then seems to start flickering with almost no output, and when I disconnect the power from the board, the output seems to be continuous 24v.

Pictures : I will desolder the board now and send pictures of both the sides.

Hello.

We are not asking you to desolder the board; that is a lot of effort and could just cause more problems. We just want to get a better sense for your system and whatever pictures you can provide might help with that.

Can you be more specific about what you are using for your power supply and how your power indicator LED is setup? Does the flickering of the power indicator LED still occur if the only thing in the system is the DRV8825 driver (i.e. no control electronics and no stepper motor connected)?

- Ben

Thank you for your help. I’ve figured it out.

I’m glad you solved the problem. What was wrong?

- Ben