DRV8801 as MOSFET driver?

I’m running into a problem where I’m trying to do PWM on a low-end switching N-channel power MOSFET, but the available current on my MCU (Atmega32u4) isn’t enough; the N-channel spends too much time in the transition zone and overheats.
I could solve this problem with a dedicated driver IC, like an IRF 2101 or similar. However, I really don’t want to build another PCB; this is all supposed to work by Robo Games and any affordable turn-around will take at least 10 days.

Is there any reason why I couldn’t use a DRV8801 as a MOSFET gate driver? I’d only use one of the two H-bridges, and tie it directly to the gate of a big N-channel power MOSFET.

Hello.

I think that would be okay, but I haven’t looked closely at the rise times and delays to see what kind of performance can be expected. If you try it, can you let us know how it goes? Also, good luck with your Robo Games entry; I’d love to hear more about it!

- Ben

Thanks, Ben!

I probably won’t be able to report back on that idea – I ended up ordering a couple of VNH3SP30 complete driver boards instead. This close to the games, I’m trading money for time at a rate my wife views with growing concern…