Driver for Nanotec stepper

Hello,
I am planning to use Nanotec ST5918L3008 stepper motor in one of my projects to drive a peristaltic pump. I would like to ask you about the drivers which are compatible with this type of motor. I would like to keep the motor running at a speed of about 100 rpm without any control from the computer. Once power is supplied to the system, the motor should run at the required rpm and once the power is turned off, it should stop. Hope you got an idea of what I am looking for. Please let me know if any of your drivers meet my requirement.

Hi.

That motor is probably a little overpowered for the drivers we carry. Separately, none of the drivers we carry are going to have the functionality you are looking for; you will have to implement that yourself.

- Zeeshan

The Nanotec stepper is an 8-coil motor and if wired as “bipolar serial”, this motor driver board pololu.com/catalog/product/2133 should handle the required voltage (35-45 V) and current (0.5-0.7A) for 100 rpm operation. However the Pololu board needs a very small MCU to send the step and direction signals. I imagine that even a PICAXE 08M, programmed in Basic for a total cost of about $4.00, could do that.

Thank you guys for your replies. I will try it out.

I checked again and the current range that I posted was for the ST5918L1008, not for the ST5918L3008. That motor requires 2.1 A/phase at 48V (series bipolar) for full power at 100 rpm. The DRV8825 needs additional cooling to go above 1.5 A/phase, and can’t go above 45 V.

Do you really need a stepper that powerful? Otherwise you might be able to get away with limiting the current to 1.5 A/phase, or use the smaller motor.

if i need only 2/3 of the max torque of this motor, will the above mentioned driver suffice? if yes what should be the supply voltage? i can provide additional air cooling with a fan, or is it mandatory to have a heat sink? the motor will be working for 20 minutes continuously and will rest for about 20 minutes before starting again.

If you limit the current to 1.5 A/phase (adjustment on the driver board), that should meet your requirements. In that case the motor voltage supply should be somewhere over 32 V but less than 45 V. According to the docs you don’t need a heat sink at 1.5 A/phase, but a fan certainly wouldn’t hurt.

I just found this on the Nanotec site.
en.nanotec.com/products/497-redirect/?cHash=1
A chart which shows that the motor can run on a 24V supply @ 2.1 A. I asked the technical support guys about compatible drivers for my motor and below is their reply.

The following components can be a possible solution for your Application:

Motor ST5918L3008-A
Controller SMCI12
Cable Set ZK-SMCI12

For your Application you have to programm the Controller oncein NanoPro, then you must import your Java-Programm to start the Programm in 100ms.

The above controller is driven by 24V supply. So I assume I can easily get away with the pololu driver that you mentioned earlier.
And for the signal generator, will this work? ebay.com/itm/Stepper-Motor-S … 33779b6f51

Thank you …

Stepper motors will run on any voltage, as long as you do not exceed the power dissipation specifications. At lower voltages the motor response is slower and the output power is reduced.

The ebay signal generator might work, but I wouldn’t buy it without documentation describing its functions.