Drive a step motor 3.1V /2.5A

Hello everyone,

First time i come to this forum, I’m looking to have some advises… :slight_smile:

As I said in the title I have a step motor 3.1V 2.5Amps, this one :

https://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=415796,

And im looking to drive it. This motors can be drive by the official divers for a 3d printer but I bought it at my local electronic shop, and i can’t buy this driver by my own, in addition, impossible for us to have the datasheet.
So i did some research and i found this DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver

I think it’s sounds perfect, the maximum current is 2.2 Amp but about voltage, as the A4988 i guess, it’s write :

• Minimum operating voltage: 8 V

and my motor works with 3.1V…
I want to ask you that about the DRV8825 because on the last line of the specs’s page it’s write :

• This driver works with 2.5 V to 5.25 V logic. It does not take an external logic power supply.

So it’s mean i can power supply it with the 3.3V Arduino pin ?

thanks a lot ! cheers

Hello.

It sounds like you are concerned about using a higher voltage than the motor is rated for. Please note that when using current limiting stepper motor drivers like these, you can use a higher voltage safely. The voltage rating is the voltage at which each coil draws the rated current, but the driver will adjust the voltage to the stepper motor to achieve the current (up to the configured current limit). More details about this can be found in the first question under the “FAQs” tab of the DRV8825 carrier’s product page.

Also, please note that while the driver is rated for up to 2.2A per coil with sufficient additional cooling, our carrier can deliver approximately 1.5A per phase (without additional cooling). Since your stepper motor is rated for 2.5A per phase, the DRV8825 cannot handle running your stepper motor at its full potential. You might be able to still use it to run your stepper motor at a lower current (which will also reduce the torque). None of the stepper motor drivers we currently carry can handle the full 2.5A per phase rating of your motor continuously.

As far as powering the driver, you should not use your Arduino’s 3.3V output. The motor power supply (VMOT) should be between 8.2V-45V and be able to handle the current draw of your stepper motor.

Brandon