Does this driver fit my electronics need?

I want to know if this driver Pololu Dual G2 High-Power Motor Driver 24v14 Shield for Arduino Driver is appropriate for my project needs. I am actuating engine valves using solenoids driven by an arduino board. The solenoids will run on 41V and 10A. Based on my research I will need a resistor between the gate and arduino board to prevent a high current going into the board (220 ohm - 5V 23mA way below the 40mA of the board). The drain should connect to the solenoid and the source to the ground. Here is the link to the solenoid we bought F700F-22 Solenoid Data Sheet and I’ve attached the data sheet with additional information.push_pull_solenoid_700.pdf (691.6 KB)

I cam across drivers when I found out that I might not be putting enough voltage through the gate. The other positive thing about this driver is that it seems like it can drive two solenoids at once. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Some Background: This is for a mechanical engineer undergraduate senior design group and we are making an electronically controlled valve train. There will be one solenoid controlling the intake valve and one solenoid controlling the outtake valve. The valve timing will be depending on the rotation of the crankshaft which is read with a different sensor but everything will be connected to one arduino.

Hello.

Unfortunately, I do not think the board you suggested will be appropriate. As listed on the product page under the “Specs” tab the absolute maximum operating voltage is 40V, so to give yourself some safety margin for noise on the supply line, our recommended max is approximately 34V.

If you cannot use a lower supply voltage you might consider using two of our of 36v9 high-power motor drivers. Their maximum operating voltage is 50V, but if you expect your solenoids to draw 10A for sustained intervals, you might need to add some additional cooling like forced airflow or a heat sink.

By the way, I am not sure where you are suggesting you think a resistor should be connected. If you decide to go with one of drivers could you post a diagram of your proposed connections?

- Patrick

Hello Patrick, thank you for responding. I have attached the configurations the we have tried.Wiring Diagram.pdf (400.8 KB)

Thank you for posting the diagram. If your plan is to replace the MOSFET in your system with a motor driver, then the resistor will be irrelevant. You will just connect your solenoids to the motor driver outputs and your Arduino signals to the driver logic inputs.

By the way, if you only need on/off control of the solenoid, then using a motor driver seems like it might be overkill. I think a MOSFET circuit like one of the ones you posted should work, but if you try that again make sure there is a common ground connection between the Arduino and the rest of the system (there generally should be a common ground across all components) since some of your schematics do not show that. Also, the inline resistor in configurations 1 and 2 are probably not really necessary, but the pull-down in configuration 3 is good to have to ensure the gate is not floating whenever it is not being driven.

- Patrick

That sounds great, we will try our configurations again. I had on last question about the driver, will it be able to drive both solenoids if the timing requires it? Or will I need something that will be rated even higher in voltage. Is it 50V from each output?

If you use the dual motor driver you initially suggested (the Pololu Dual G2 High-Power Motor Driver 24v14 Shield for Arduino), then it can independently drive both of your solenoids at your supply voltage as long as that is within driver’s the maximum operating voltage (higher voltages would break the driver). If you use the driver I suggested (Pololu High-Power Motor Driver 36v9), that is only a single channel board so you will need two.

- Patrick

Hello Partick, then is there anything that would drive our solenoids in a safe maximum operating voltage (~50V) that still have the dual motor drivers that you would recommend?

Unfortunately the only dual motor drivers/controllers we have that can comfortably handle voltages that high are some of the RoboClaws and MCP Advanced Motor Controllers, which would definitely be overkill for your application.

- Patrick

Hi, so the board has been working somewhat, but there seems to be an issue. We are trying to reset the board but we do not quite understand what the instructions mean. It says something about V+ to a resistor to the reset button and low output. How would it be put into low output and ground isn’t needed?

I am not sure what board you are using. Can you post links to the products you are using and the specific instructions you are trying to follow? Could you also post some pictures of your setup?

- Patrick