Correct pinout for Magnetic Encoder Pair Kit with Side-Entry Connector for Micro Metal Gearmotors

Hi, I’ve got four of the side-entry encoders*, which came with 6-pin male JST SH-type connectors and cables.

There seem to be two specifications for the pins (looking at them from the end of the motor, pins-up):

1. the documentation and photos on the product page has the order as:
    M1 (red), M2 (black), Vcc (blue), OUT A (yellow), OUT B (white), Gnd (green)

2. the small white sticker on the encoder itself and the colors of the supplied wire harness when plugged in:
    M2 (red), Vcc (black), C2 (yellow), C1 (green), Gnd (blue), M1 (white)

As this can’t be explained by looking at the pin order from the opposite side (flipping), a reordering of the pins, or merely a new supplier for the wiring harness, what is the correct pinout? I’m tempted to simply follow the web page (#1) but the sticker on the motor encoder itself would suggest this is wrong.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello.

The pinouts shown on the product page and the white silkscreen labels on the bottom side of the board are correct. If you get one of our 6-pin JST SH-Style Cables, such as this one, then the wire order/pinout is:

M1 (red), M2 (black), Vcc (blue), OUT A (yellow), OUT B (white), Gnd (green)

We do not include stickers with our encoders; are you sure you have our product? If you have any doubt, you are welcome to post pictures of it here and I can check it for you (please include pictures of both sides).

- Patrick

1 Like

Hi Patrick,

Ahh, you’ve hit upon the solution. I pulled one of the motors off of the robot and had to look back through my order history to figure it out, and I’d bought these from RobotShop in Canada as part of an order of other robot parts for this mechanum-wheeled project.

I’d mistakenly assumed that you were RobotShop’s supplier since Pololu seem to be the most visible seller of these micro metal gearmotors and I’d not thought there would be several manufacturers of the motor board plus encoder board combination. I went back to RobotShop’s web page and they are getting them from E-S Motor, and the PC boards are white, not black like Pololu’s. The pinout documentation is on that page. Who OEM’s from whom can obviously be rather opaque from the retail side of things.

So, apologies for bothering you folks, and apologies for not ending up with a Pololu product. I’ll look more carefully on RobotShop’s product pages in the future.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, sorry I wasn’t clear. It turns out my motors aren’t actually from Pololu, they were purchased from RobotShop whose supplier is someone else. Sorry for the confusion.