Controller-Motor Match-up

I have an MCP6500 controller with digital current adjust to 2.0A.
My motor has max current windings of 2.5A.
Will these work together?
Thanks,
Bob

Hello, Bob.

Do you mean our MP6500 stepper motor driver carrier? If not, could you post a link to what you are using?

You can generally power stepper motors with less than their rated current, but this will come at the expense of reducing the mechanical power you can get out of them, i.e. your maximum obtainable output speed and torque will be lower. Also, if you are using our MP6500, please keep in mind that the board is only rated to handle 1.5A continuously in an open, room temperature environment, so if you want to reliably get 2A out of it, you will have to take additional cooling measures.

If you want to maximize the power that you can get out of your stepper motor, then you might consider getting a driver that can handle its full rated current, like our High-Power Stepper Motor Driver 36v4.

- Patrick

Patrick,
Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply.
Yes, it’s your driver model. I didn’t realize that the continuous rating was only 1.5A. I’ve looked over your 36v4 specs, and it sounds like what I need. My main concern was being able to reduce the hold current during time between pulses (which will be several seconds). I was able to buy your MP6500 locally to get me started.
Thanks again,
Bob

1 Like

Patrick,
I see now that the tic 500 can provide 2.5A with cooling, and it will also let me reduce the hold current between long steps. Is this correct?
Bob

Our High-Power Stepper Motor Driver 36v4 supports dynamically changing the current during operation using its SPI interface. In fact, it is necessary to use the SPI interface to set the current limit since the driver’s setting defaults to the maximum (~18 A).

The Tics, including the T500, support dynamically changing the current limit in the Serial/I2 /USB control mode. The T500 can provide 2.5A, but depending on your particular application, it may have trouble handling that much current continuously. However, you might be okay if you apply additional cooling measures and spend significant time running it at lower current limits (such as when you are just holding position between pulses of movement like you described).

- Patrick

Thanks Patrick,
I have a motor with 2.5A max windings, and I just wanted to get the most out of it. In this application, I will drive 7.2 degrees with four 1.8 degree pulses at high current, and then rest for about 14 seconds.
Having said all that, I’m finding I’m getting pretty good torque at 1.5A with a smaller motor, which may be good enough.
In any case, you have resolved my question. I can use either the T500 with cooling (available locally) or use the 36x4.
Thanks very much for your help.
You folks are worth your weight in gold!
Bob

2 Likes

36v4!

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words, Bob! Good luck with your project!

- Patrick