Controling a High-Power Simple Motor Controller G2 with an analog Signal

I’m a Student in Aachen, Germany. For my bachelor thesis, I have to modify a test stand and add new sensors, as well as redo the control circuitry. Previously we used a High-Power Simple Motor Controller G2 18v25 or 24v19 to control the motor which powers our test stand. It received the desired speed setting via i2c communications. We would now like to transmit the desired speed via an analog output of a Beckhoff El 4104 clamp. The clamp supply 0-10V by default, but I am confident that I can calibrate it to only send 0-2,5V signals. However, I am not sure how I would connect it to the G2 Motor controller. Is it enough to connect a single cable to one of the analog input points and check the “Ignore pot disconnect” box and then configure 0v to full revers and 2,5V to full ahead?

Kind regards from Aachen

Michael

Hello, Michael.

The G2 Simple Motor Controllers can accept a 0-3.3V analog signal as an input. If it is easy for you to calibrate your source to output 0-2.5V, then that should work fine. Otherwise, you might consider using a voltage divider to reduce your 10V signal down to an appropriate level.

For setting up the controller, I recommend first connecting the board to the Simple Motor Control Center G2 software and changing the input mode to “Analog” in the “Input settings” tab. Then, you can configure the input settings for “Analog Channel 1” how you want them. By default 0V will be full speed reverse and 3.3V will be full speed forward. If it is easy for you to adjust the voltage from your actual source, I recommend using the “Learn…” button and following the prompts to have the software measure and determine the appropriate values; otherwise, you can type them in manually (the values map linearly from 0 at 0V to 4095 at 3.3V).

Since you are using an external source to provide the signal, you can select the “Ignore pot disconnect” option in the “Advanced settings” like you mentioned, and make sure you click the “Apply settings” button.

Lastly, for the connections, you will need the signal wire (which you can connect to the Analog input channel 1 labeled A1) and a common ground wire.

Brandon