Connection of AMIS 30543 to NEMA 23 Stepper ans Arduino Mega

All,

I just recently purchased the Pololu AMIS-30543 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier # 2970 PCB. This is my first stepper project and I have selected the Arduino Mega microcontroller. I was not able to bring the hardware online. Can someone help me thru the first few steps to get the hardware running, any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Nick

Hello, Nick.

It looks like your connections are incorrect. The default SPI pins on the Arduino Mega are pins 50, 51, and 52 as listed in the table under the “Connections” header of Arduino’s SPI library page. Can you try correcting that and then try the BasicStepping.ino example program from our Amis 30543 Arduino library with minimal modifications? You should only have to adjust the current limit and perhaps the step mode on lines 46 and 52.

For reference, here is a list of your logic connections with the Arduino Mega should be if you do not make any other modifications to the example program:

Arduino I/0 2 → AMIS DIR
Arduino I/0 3 → AMIS NXT (STEP)
Arduino I/0 4 → AMIS nCS
Arduino I/O 50 → AMIS DO
Arduino I/O 51 → AMIS DI
Arduino I/O 52 → AMIS CLK

If you do that and continue having trouble, could you post some more information about your system, like what stepper motor an power supply you are using? Also, could you post updated pictures, including some showing the solder connections on the bottom side of your board?

- Patrick

Thanks Patrick, the connections you explained work!

1 Like