Arduino + Raspberry Pi 4-wheeled robot

I would like to build a four-wheel robot based on Arduino compatible MCU for low-level control (motor, sensors, etc.)and Raspberry Pi for higher level (vision, etc.). Romi chassis and the controller seem to be a good option; the problem is that I need four wheels. Is it possible to augment the Romi chassis or do you suggest an alternative chassis?

Hello.

The Romi was not designed to be modified into a 4-wheeled robot. It might be possible, but I do not have any specific advice for doing so. Another option might be to use the Romi 32U4 Control Board separately with your own chassis (possibly made from plywood or acrylic from our custom laser cutting service.

Alternatively, you might consider using the Dagu Wild Thumper 4WD Chassis, which has independent suspension for each wheel. The motor drivers on the Romi 32U4 Control Board are not powerful enough to handle the motors on the Wild Thumper, but you can find some appropriate motor drivers that would work with an Arduino in the “Related Products” list on the Wild Thumper’s product page.

Brandon