AN4988 SLEEP or Enable?

Hello
I want to control a bipolar stepper motor via AN4988, and 4093 to generate clock signal.

Motors will run durin few secondes, and stopp during many hours, during off phases, motors must shut down.
In the AN4988 datasheet, two pins may are able to do this, pin SLEEP, and pin Enable, but wh’at is the difference betwwen them, and what’s pin is more able to do this, I must save maximum energy.

If I use sleep pin, where imust connect the Enable pint, and the reset pin ?

Sleep Mode To minimize power consumption
when the motor is not in use, this input disables much of the
internal circuitry including the output FETs, current regulator,
and charge pump. A logic low on the SLEEP pin puts the A4988
into Sleep mode. A logic high allows normal operation, as well as
start-up (at which time the A4988 drives the motor to the Home
microstep position). When emerging from Sleep mode, in order
to allow the charge pump to stabilize, provide a delay of 1 ms
before issuing a Step command.

Enable Input
This input turns on or off all of the
FET outputs. When set to a logic high, the outputs are disabled.
When set to a logic low, the internal control enables the outputs
as required. The translator inputs STEP, DIR, and MSx, as well as
the internal sequencing logic, all remain active, independent of the ENABLE input state.

Hi.

The title of your post has AN4988, but I think you are probably referring to our A4988 carrier.

Since you posted the paragraphs form the A4988 datasheet about the sleep and enable pins, it seems like you have already found the differences between them. If you want to minimize power consumption when you are not moving your stepper motor, you should put the driver in sleep mode. When the driver is in the sleep mode, it should not matter whether the enable and reset pins are high or low, so I recommend always leaving the enable pin low and the reset pin high, so the driver will operate normally when it comes out of sleep mode.

-Claire