A4988 and this Japanese Stepper Motor strong enough?

Hi all,
First time trying out the A4988, :smiley:
Can I power these motors using the A4988?
What will be the best voltage/current power supply to use.(3 motors on total using a db25 breakout board which accepts the driver).

Next time how do I read and understand the stepper motor ratingsā€¦? just in case I get another motor or want to use a different driver.

I plan on using it on a small desktop CNC hopefully for milling PCBā€¦cutting plastics.

Thanks!!

If that is a 6- or 8-wire stepper (looks like 6 from the picture) then yes, you should be able to use the A4988. See the instructions on the Pololu A4988 page for how to wire the motor, so that the total coil resistance is 10.4 ohms on each side. This means that two of the wires (the coil center taps) will not connect to anything. The maximum voltage is about 10 V unless you employ the current limiting feature of the driver.

Hello.

As Jim Remington has posted, the A4988 should work for your stepper motor, but you might consider using the Black Edition since that motor will be drawing near the limit of continuous current per phase for the normal A4988.

You will probably want a power supply that can deliver at least 2A. In general, if you have a current-limiting stepper motor driver like the A4988, higher voltage is better when it comes to stepper motors, so you might consider a 12V or 24V power supply.

In regards to the ratings on the stepper motor, the 1A current rating means that you do not want to put more than 1A through each coil of the motor. The voltage rating (5.2V) is not relevant since the A4988 limits the current. Also, the 200 S/R means that the motor can do 200 step per rotation.

• Grant