A-Star 32U4 on a Zumo chasis

I’m looking at getting a Zumo chasis and a 32U4 to go with it (with the LCD). but I’m confused because it looks like on the Arduino version you plug it in upside down (headers of Uno facing down). The 32U4 has the LCD on the header side, so how can I use this and still see the LCD?

Thanks.
Jeff

Hello, Jeff.

You would not be able to connect the LCD directly to the intended pins on the A-star 32U4 Prime while it is mounted on the Zumo for Arduino. If you want a Zumo with an LCD, you might consider our Zumo 32U4 Robot which has the Arduino-compatible ATmega 32U4, more sensors, and an LCD.

-Derrill

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m looking to get 10 kits with motors etc, for a workshop in our makerspace. We were going to get Arduino clones but I was thinking about letting some upgrade to the LCD version of the controller. The other bot looks very nice, but I think it would price the workshop out of our affordability range for students.

There is a lot more that you can do with the 32U4 since it has extra features like a built in proximity detection system and encoders, so we would strongly encourage you to go with that over the Zumo Robot for Arduino. If you email us, we might be able to help you out with a discount for your workshop.

-Derrill

Thanks. I sent an email to support to ask about a discount.

Jeff
Chatt*lab